Essential Items to Stock for an Emergency
What items should I have at home to prepare for coronavirus?
Its always good to be prepared for the unknown future and have an emergency preparedness kit to at least get you through two weeks at home without power or under quarantine. Whether it is coronavirus or a natural disaster, preparation is better than panic.
Here’s our checklist for some essential items:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables will likely spoil over 14 days, so pick foods that have a long shelf life and need little or no cooking. E.g apples, bananas, oranges, pears, carrots, cucumbers, etc.
- Healthy canned foods (look for options with low/no sodium): black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, carrots, potatoes
- Nuts and nut butters: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, trail Mixes, dried Fruits, granola bars, whole wheat crackers etc.
- Frozen foods
- Whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, rice crackers, whole wheat crackers
- Dont forget about your pets! Having a couple weeks of pet food on-hand is important as well.
Water and liquids:
- Water filters, bottled water, and electrolyte solutions like pedialyte are good to have on hand.
- A 14-day supply of any prescription medications. Include some over-the-counter pain relievers, plus cough and flu medicines.
- Check to make sure you have a 14 day supply of essential items like toilet paper, soap, detergents, toothpaste, trash bags etc. Its always good to have flashlights and extra batteries (for various products including hearing aids).
- If you cannot find hand sanitizer anywhere near you, you can always make it at home by Mixing 3 parts isopropyl alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give it a nice scent.
- Dont forget about your mental health! Enhance your cognitive health with board games, cards, brain teasers, etc. Use the time to read some books or learn a new hobby like playing guitar or painting.